Total Pageviews

Sunday 3 February 2013

A Rainbow of Remington Portable Typewriters

This Remington Portable No 3 duotone orchid-coloured typewriter, serial number V134385, was owned by Janet McArthur of 1118 Garden Street, Bellingham, Washington State. It was a Christmas gift to the then 18-year-old schoolgirl and cost $60. Remington introduced a dazzling array of eight colour combinations for the No 3 for the Christmas market of 1928.  
This is the typewriter I took with me as my travelling machine to Noumea a few years ago. It not only performed consistently well, but it opened quite a few admiring eyes as well!
(I'm not being serious here - I couldn't get the caps to work)


8 comments:

Miguel Chávez said...

Beautiful machines!

Richard P said...

Lovely, all of them. This is one of my favorite Remington models.

Anonymous said...

I just realised. I know very, very little about these machines. And I certainly don't know about the colour schemes these were marketed with.

Now I'm curious.

Scott K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ted said...

Beautiful little Remmies. Always a collector's favorite (:

notagain said...

Definitely a crowd favorite. It took me a long time to get one and it's basic black. I'm curious how the one from Bellingham (a day trip for me) ended up in Oz.

Nat said...

Beautiful! :)

surfcrashrepeat said...

Do you know where I might be able to find new tape for this typewriter online? I own one myself and the only shop I knew that could replace the tape was back in NJ, I'm not in Hawaii, which does nada for me. Your help is much appreciated as I so badly want to continue using this again!!